Kitchen

The Last 10% of a Kitchen Renovation

If it feels to you as though this kitchen renovation has been dragging along for too long, you’re not alone. Though demolition occurred in November, we are still working on the final touches. And it’s July. Pat worked hard on the kitchen for 6 weeks, and then his *real* job got super busy, as it always does in the winter-spring. So, the pictures that you saw from Bradley’s birthday party (which was in December) was basically how we lived in the house for the next 4 months. And, regardless of the fact that we were actually really busy, doesn’t it always seem like the first 90% of a project is exciting and the last 10% is a chore? Sometimes we find it hard to find the motivation for the final push. Anyone else?

Adding the Vent Hood

One of the reasons we dragged our feet on adding the vent hood was that it took us months to find a day to seal the grout and caulk the tile. (I have no pictures of that. It’s boring. Definitely in the “chore” category.) The other reason is that we were less than excited about spending $300 at the metal fabricators.

So, for months we had a 90% finished kitchen but an exposed vent hood.

Installing the vent hood was a little difficult – it is cut to fit exactly, so Pat had to do some ceiling repair and painting. There have been 3 or 4 times during this renovation when he has exclaimed, “That was the last time I had to paint the ceiling!” Oops.

But finally, he finished patching, sanding, painting, and caulking, and at last this section of the renovation is officially complete!

 

Glass Cabinet Fronts

Another big thing we had left on the to-do list was installing the glass fronts to our display cabinets. The materials we purchased through cabinets.com included the wood parts of the cabinets, but we always knew we’d have to buy the glass separately. We went to Lowe’s and as a last-minute decision, Pat decided (at the suggestion of an employee) to purchase acrylic instead of glass. I was not a part of this decision, as this was my view during our home improvement store foray:

While this was Pat’s:

Anyway, I was hesitant about that decision to say the least. The employee took one look at Bradley and said “You need vinyl. He’ll break glass.” ūüėā¬†Also, the vinyl purchase was $50 while glass would have cost $300. Plus, as Pat figured, if it doesn’t pan out we can easily go back and change it. Now that they are installed, I am 100% okay with this decision. I asked two of my most discerning (and honest!) friends what they thought, and they both said they would have no idea it was vinyl and not glass. Now you know our little kitchen secret!

Here is Pat installing the final hardware:

Coat Hooks

Since we removed our coat closet, we added these coat hooks on the wall adjacent to the carport door. They coordinate with the cabinet hardware, but were not the best quality. They look okay, but it was literally impossible to hang them perfectly straight. We ordered them from Pottery Barn. The part you attach to the wall is separate from the hook portion (which is normal). However, the wall brackets were manufactured askew – so we had to drill holes crooked to make the hooks hang straight. Pat was not willing to put them up a third time, so they’re just a bit crooked. Eventually we plan to mount them on a board on the wall.

Obviously there are still a few more little things to do (and so few toddler nap times to tackle them in!). We have to paint the trim, patch and paint the walls, finish the baseboards, make the window seat, and figure out a table situation. So close!

If you missed our previous posts on the kitchen renovation, you can get caught up here: Before Photos, Appliances, Design Plans, Demo, Installing Cabinets and Floors and Countertops and Backsplash.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *